Monday, February 15, 2010
Young Women's Lesson 6: Sharing Work in the Home
I am so excited to share the Young Women's handouts I gave the girls yesterday! Our lesson was on Sharing the Work in the Home. It could be a delicate lesson (who wants a lecture on chores??) but, it turned out great and the girls loved the handouts! We started the lesson with a girl holding a bag full of stones. The stones represented chores that would be done in a typical home. Her assignment was to hold the bag until the end of class without resting it on anything....she did it! I was then able to talk about how we could have made her burdens lighter by each taking a few of the stones from her. I also read a great story about Vaughn J. Featherstone. He grew up with a single mother that worked the night shift (to be with her six kids during the day). One day she got home from work, slept a couple hours and got up, slaved by cooking and cleaning for family that was coming for dinner (about 30 people). After dinner the dished and food was shoved in the kitchen and the door was shut so everyone could mingle. Vaughn remembered looking at all the work his mother would have after the guest would leave. He said, "I remember thinking it was unfair and than I thought, I know! I will do it." He did. It took him 3 hours to hand wash all the dishes, clean up the counters and food, and scrub the floors. It took him three hours, but he thought he did a job well done and then his mother walked in. As you can imagine, she was speechless and proud. Vaughn never forgot the unselfish act he performed that night and did over and over and over again. I then passed out handouts and asked the girls to do at least one nice dead for their families on top of their daily chores and write it down and we'll report on Sunday. I'm excited to hear what they all chose to do! The handout with the quotes says, "The gospel of work is a very important teaching of the church. If we learn to work early in life we will be better individuals, better members of families, better neighbors, and better disciples of Jesus Christ, who Himself learned to work as a carpenter." -Neal A. Maxwell I got the cute quote handout from Shanna Vineyard and the No Mess Nest Routine wheel from the YW Fun-tastic book. I changed them up a bit to my own liking though. And of course, since this lesson was on Valentine's Day, I gave them each a cupcake from my previous post! The girls loved them both!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment